Universal Studios Florida and Universal's Islands of Adventure are much more than just theme parks. The Universal Orlando Resort has some amazing attractions, gorgeous hotel properties and superb restaurants! With the new Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure ride now open and Jurassic World's VelociCoaster scheduled to open June 10, 2021, Universal Orlando is the hottest vacation destination for families this summer.
I have compiled a list of 10 must-do tips on how to maximize your Universal Orlando vacation.
Top 10 Tips10. Express Pass - Universal's Express Pass let's you skip the regular line for many attractions. It comes in two forms, Unlimited, or once per ride. Universal parks have been reaching capacity lately so this is a must! You can add the Express Pass Unlimited right to your ticket purchase. If you stay on-site at one of Universal's 3 Premier Hotels, you get the Universal Express Unlimited Pass free with your stay! These hotels include Hard Rock Hotel, Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, and Loews Royal Pacific Resort. Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, Universal's Aventura Hotel, Endless Summer Resort and Loews Sapphire Falls Resort do not offer this perk. I highly recommend having it, especially with kids, or if you're going in the summer.
|Islands of Adventure|
8. Universal Dining Plan - Purchasing either the Quick Service dining plan or the Table Service plan can save you money on food in the parks. You can add it to your room and ticket package. There are some great quick service restaurants in the parks such as the Harry Potter themed Three Broomsticks at Islands of Adventure and The Leaky Cauldron at Universal Studios Florida. You don't need to purchase it for the entire stay. You can pick and choose which days to buy it.
7. Water Taxis - If you are staying on Universal property at Hard Rock Hotel, Loews Royal Pacific Resort, Loews Portofino Bay Hotel or Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, the water taxis are an excellent way to get back and forth from your hotel to Universal Studios Florida, Universal's Islands of Adventure, or Universal CityWalk. They take you to CityWalk and then you can walk into the desired park of choice, but both parks are a very short walking distance from where the boat dock is located at CityWalk. You will go through a security check point before boarding the boat, so make sure to leave a few minutes for that. Everything is so close together, you can either walk to the parks, or take the shuttle bus.
|Club Level lounge - Hard Rock Hotel|
|refreshments in the club lounge|
5. Park Lockers and Metal Detectors - Each major thrill ride has free "digital" lockers located conveniently outside the entrance. They require ALL belongings to be stored in the free lockers, including cell phones, cameras and sunglasses on some attractions. The large rollercoasters such as The Incredible Hulk Coaster and Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit have metal detectors to ensure the safety of guests. Guests cannot ride if they set off the detectors. It's much easier and faster if you don't carry a purse, and just store your ticket, credit card, and dining card in a neck lanyard so you don't have to use a locker.
|digital locker bay |
4. Pool–hopping- When you stay at one of the on-site hotels, you can actually swim at any of the other Universal Resort pools! All you need is your room key to open the pool gate and you're good to go. Bring a backpack with your swimsuits to the parks and you can stop by a different pool each afternoon before heading back to your room. They even supply towels near the pools so no need to bring your own. Swim in a pool that plays music underwater at the Hard Rock Hotel, float down the lazy river at Cabana Bay, enjoy a relaxing dip at Portofino Bay and more.
3. Hogwarts Express - The two parks are only connected by the train in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter known as the Hogwarts Express. The train takes "students" between Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. You can only board the train with a Park-to-Park ticket as you exit the train in a different park. If you have a base ticket (one park per day) you cannot ride the Hogwarts Express. The ride itself is so impressive! It's very authentic to the Harry Potter movies. The ride experience is different each way too!
2. CityWalk - Universal CityWalk has so many shops and restaurants to check out. A favorite of the Kingdom Konsultant agents is Cowfish. It offers many varieties of burgers and sushi. My kids love Toothsome's Chocolate Emporium too. CityWalk has so many unique stores, booths, and vendors. It also has street performers and a DJ to liven up the atmosphere. It's open later than the parks, so save it for nighttime.
|Sushi burger at Cowfish|
I no longer regard Universal as an "add-on" day to Walt Disney World, but a vacation in itself! There is so much to see and do here, that a 4-night stay is barely long enough!
Summer's favorite Universal ride is Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts. She is a member of House Ravenclaw. Email her at Summer@kingdomkonsultant.com.